Cantata Coffee Company: Famous Coffee & A Fun Atmosphere

Back to Article
Back to Article

Grace Sandman, Staff

In the Haight-Ashbury neighborhood of San Francisco, Cantata Coffee Company is a small, old-fashioned coffee shop known for its unique coffee flavors, pastries and gelato. As a family-owned business, Cantata Coffee proudly infuses its rich middle-eastern roots into its food and drinks.  

When I walked into the coffee shop, I immediately noticed the warm atmosphere, which features a brightly decorated interior with tables covered in mismatched, floral tablecloths and large chalkboards detailing menu options in colorful chalk. For those who prefer a seat on the sidewalk, there is also a small outdoor seating area for people-watching and fresh air. 

One of the things that makes Cantata unique is the celebrity-inspired names of its coffee drinks. You can try the Audrey Hepburn, a vanilla latte with cinnamon, or the Frank Sinatra, a blueberry infused coffee. Cantata Coffee Company also carries Marin gelato if you’re in the mood for a sweet treat. The gelato flavors range from simple flavors such as vanilla or lemon cookie to unusual ones like avocado. Along with coffee and gelato, it also has a general boba tea menu. 

I ordered an iced caramel macchiato and a blueberry muffin. The caramel macchiato tasted like a plain coffee with added sugar. It lacked adequate caramel, which allowed the strong espresso to overpower the drink. This left me with a bitter aftertaste. Full disclosure: I like my coffee sweet. 

The blueberry muffin lacked blueberries, but I did not know it until I made it past the top layer. The muffin top was delicious. Each blueberry popped in my mouth as I took a bite. The muffin itself was fluffy and moist. Had I just eaten the muffin top, I would have given it an A plus. As I reached the bottom half of the muffin, however, there were no more blueberries. The sensational “pop” I had experienced in the top half of my muffin disappeared. This was disappointing as I like an even distribution of blueberries throughout my muffin. 

Overall, Cantata Coffee was an eclectic place to try with a trendy vibe, but only had mediocre coffee, although with superstar names, and lopsided pastries. Even so, due to the friendly baristas, great location and cool atmosphere, I’d give it another shot and try a Frank Sinatra and some lemon cookie gelato next time.  

About the Writer
Photo of Grace Sandman
Grace Sandman, Staff

Grace is currently a rising sophomore at Westridge School in Pasadena, CA. She loves making films, trying different foods, reading, and swimming. She hopes...